|Location & Access|
The site of Vat Phou is located in Champasak district, in Champasak province. It is in the south of Laos, between the Mekong river and Phou Kao mountain.
Several options to access the site:
Arriving in Pakse
- by flight from Vientiane (Laos), from Siem Reap ( Cambodia) or from Bangkok (Thailand)
- by local night bus from Vientiane, by international bus from Ubon Rattchatani, Thailand (2 daily buses), by local bus or private van from the 4 000 Islands (Southern Laos)
Arriving in Champasak
- by "songthaw" (local bus) leaving from Pakse Market (Talat Dao Heuang), or from the Southern Bus Station (km 8 on Road 13), both crossing the Mekong river
- by "songthaw" to Ban Muang, then take a ferry to cross, then a tuk-tuk to a guesthouse or other location
- by slow boat from the jetty of Pakse (booking at travel agencies in Pakse)
- a new road allows access to Champasak from Paksé via the right bank of the Mekong.